Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Marshall Tucker Band, Music to Turn Back Time

I suppose everyone has certain music in their life that is like oxygen, sustaining. If you think you don't you probably haven't thought about it very hard. The Marshall Tucker Band represent some of that life-breathing music to me. I don't think about their music often and I don't even know if I have a cd in the house with their name on it. But sometimes you don't have to have it to have it. They have me.

I was slim, single, sassy, sensual, super-woman (in my own frazzled mind), stupid, and every other S word decribing a 19 year old in love, in something I suppose, when their music came to me. While not quite as bluesy as The Allman Brother's the harmony made me feel even finer. I was in control (ha!) and they made me close my eyes and let the senses take over.

None of their music made me socially conscious or teary eyed. They would have thought someone to be crazy if they ever made that claim. They just made me feel good, Sly and the Family Stone good. They made me mellow and firey and juke joint jiving and silly--if they could have heard my feeble attempts at harmony on "Can't You See" they'd have called the law to my door just to keep me from doing an injustice to their music. But I didn't care. They were so there and I was so there, then.

And now it's time to be here. Not Marshall Tucker firey or juke joint jiving but now maybe just a little teary eyed for the times when they were fine and I was even finer. Only one of the original group is still living and I think he'd understand my reasons for being a little dewy eyed when I hear them on the loud speaker at Walmart. They will always be in the concert of my life (24 hours at a time of course, how could it be less)................sing, Doug Gray, you make me smile inside!

No comments: