Friday, June 13, 2008

Maybe the Visa Ran Out

What happened to dotted Swiss fabric? I haven't seen any in years. In the years when my mother was attempting, albeit in vain, to make a lady out of me, I must have had a hundred dresses or blouses made from that delicate yet wearable material. I need to ask her but I'm thinking the rules for it might have been the same as white shoes and seersucker--never before Easter and never ever after Labor Day. Don't ever let any of the fashion wags or mags out of New York or California or any other state above the Mason Dixon line try and convince you otherwise. They may choose to break the rules there but here in the South we know our fashion rules. She may be a gum snapping, Clairol bleaching, tank-top wearing, tatoo sporting, Daisy Dukes hugging gen-u-ine Southern redneck girl but she ain't gonna have white shoes on after Labor Day or before Easter. Whether we live in a trailer or own the trailer park women of the South know how to dress.

I think my prom dress had dotted Swiss sleeves on it and if it didn't something in the back of my mind is telling me that some frock I wore on a fancy occasion way back when did. I'm going to have to start consciously looking for it, dotted Swiss, not my prom dress (I was a vision of loveliness all in pepto bismol pink, I was) and see if it really went the way of the Dodo bird and Tyrannasauras Rex or if it's just sleeping somewhere in Switzerland. Why was it called "dotted Swiss" anyway? Did it originate across the big pond? It's definitely something I need to consider pondering.

Even though I grew up strictly an urbanite I too have had my own redneck experiences and can throw down with the best of them if it's called for. I was once the most dressed up party at a wedding in a used car lot where one of the witnesses had to keep shushing one of the children saying "hush, your mother's trying to get married". I don't remember the names but it's probably best that they were forgotten anyway. But I've often wondered if they kept each other after they drove off the lot or if they did a trade-in later.

Anyone out there have any information on where the great dotted Swiss may have migrated to?

No comments: